The Gay Ottawa Volleyball (GOV) league is a volunteer, non-profit volleyball league catered mainly to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender, queer, and LGBTQ-friendly within the National Capital Region (NCR). The league provides an inclusive and fun environment, but also serves as a healthy social venue for the LGBTQ community in the NCR.
GOV offers 2 different nights catered for beginner/intermediate (Monday nights, see ‘Recreational’ in the main menu) and competitive players (Wednesday nights, see ‘Competitive’ in the main menu).
Annual General Meeting – Wed May 23, 2018
On May 23rd, 2018, Gay Ottawa Volleyball (GOV) will hold its first-ever Annual General Meeting (AGM) to approve a set of constitutional by-laws and to elect its first Board of Directors.
- Agenda (available here)
- Draft By-Laws (available here)
- Board of Director Candidate Profiles (available here)
- Financial Statement (to come)
- Member Feedback Survey (please tell us your views!)
GOV has received applications from Members to serve in one of eight volunteer Director positions. The roles of Chair, President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer will be appointed by the newly-elected Board at its first Board Meeting.
For this first election of the GOV Board of Directors, the four candidates that receive the greatest number of votes will be named to a two-year term. The next four candidates will be named to a one-year term. This will result in a system of alternating terms for board elections.
Expectations of Board members:
- Attend all scheduled board meetings (in-person or otherwise)
- Participate in board projects and events
- Engage with the GOV membership
- Dedicate approximately 2 to 3 hours of time per week, in addition to meeting time
The nomination period has now closed. To be nominated, candidates were required to:
- Be Members in good standing with the GOV league, either on the current roster of a Wednesday Competitive team, or have purchased a Fall or Winter semester Membership for the 2017-2018 Recreational
- Demonstrate support for GOV’s purpose of promoting the sport of volleyball in the LGBTQ2 community in the National Capital Region.
- Provide a written statement (not exceeding 500 words) outlining their experience and interest in sustaining and developing the organization.
- Collect nominations from a minimum of ten (10) unique GOV Members to support their candidacy.