Recreational Drop-in Mondays – Come Out and Play!
Due to Easter Monday, we will be holding a special Monday drop-in session at the Rideau Sports Centre (1 Donald St.)! We will have four volleyball courts available, compared to the two courts we have at our usual location.
This session will also take place earlier than usual, from 6:00 to 8:00pm!
Gay Ottawa Volleyball (GOV) invites players of all ages and skill levels to come out and play some pick-up volleyball on Monday nights. It’s a great opportunity for everyone to exercise, socialize and have fun at the beginning of the week!
If you are new to volleyball or have not played in a long time, don’t worry, it’s just recreational play! The focus of the night is more about having fun and getting exciting rallies going, rather than what is on the scoreboard. A representative should explain the basic rules of play at the very beginning of the night, but if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask someone. Everyone is there for fun, so enjoy yourself!
Depending on turnout, players divide up randomly or into beginner and intermediate groups, and may play a few sets before shuffling groups again. This is a great night for beginner and intermediate players, and for players who are interested in playing with different people each week, rather than always with the same team.
All participants must abide by GOV’s Code of Conduct.
Register for Monday Night Recreational Drop-in by filling out our online form: https://goo.gl/forms/x3hYUJBZmElaPC6f2
Monday Night Drop-in Rules and Etiquette
- Play at a level that includes everyone on the court.
- Return the ball to the Server by rolling it under the net at a reasonable speed.
- Don’t touch the net. Most accidents happen at the net, so be careful up there!
- Each player gets 5 serves in a row or until the serve is lost to the other team.
- When playing indoors, the blue lines are the court boundary.
- A team wins when they reach 25 points, or win by two points to a maximum of 27.
- A ball may be played off the net.
- Walls and ceilings are out of bounds.
- A maximum of three contacts is allowed per side not including the block. Thus, a block is not considered one of the three contacts.
- Outwit the other team, don’t just over-power them. A well-placed shot is better than a shot hit hard!
- Hard spiking is not allowed on either court.
- Serving is more about putting the ball in play than it is about serving so hard the other team can’t return it. Please temper your serve so that the other team can keep it in play as much as possible.
- Keeping Score is more about keeping track of time than it is about beating the other team – winning is just a bonus!
- We are there to have fun not hurt each other!!
- Be kind to less-skilled players and gentle when offering any corrections – some people may feel bullied when being told what to do.
Teams will be chosen randomly.
The first Monday night recreational volleyball session for the 2018-19 season will be on Monday September 10, 2018. From then on, we play on every Monday night, from 8 pm to 10 pm, until the 2018-19 season concludes in late spring.
Key Upcoming Dates
- Mon April 22: Special Session @ Rideau Sports Centre (6 – 8pm)
- Mon April 29: Monday REC back @ Horizon-Jeunesse (8 – 10pm)
- Wed May 1: A Taste for Life
- Mon May 6: Last night of Monday REC
- Wed May 8: GOV’s Annual General Meeting and End of Year Party
Monday Night recreational volleyball is held at the Horizon-Jeunesse elementary school (École élémentaire catholique Horizon-Jeunesse), located at the corner of McArthur and Olmstead, East of the Vanier Parkway. Players are now asked to enter by the front gymnasium door. If you arrive late and no one is present to let you in, knock on the side gym door and someone will come and get you by the front door.
The cost to play is $5 per night or $40 for each semester.