Recreational Mondays – Come Out and Play!
Please note: Due to maintenance issues at our usual location, recreational drop-in volleyball for April will be on Fridays at the Rideau Sports Centre, not Mondays!
Where: Volleyball Dome at the Rideau Sports Centre (1 Donald Street)
When: April 6 (9 to 11pm), April 13 (8 to 10pm), April 20 (8 to 10pm)
The Gay Ottawa Volleyball (GOV) league invites players of all ages and skill levels to come out and play some pick-up volleyball on Monday nights. It’s a great opportunity for everyone to exercise, socialize and have fun at the beginning of the week!
Please note that, while last year players were asked to divide themselves into beginner and intermediate levels, this year all teams will be chosen arbitrarily due to high participation numbers. Teams will be switched around roughly half way through the night, and scores don’t matter unless you are losing! 😉
If you are new to volleyball or have not played in a long time, don’t worry, it’s just recreational play! A representative should explain the basic rules of play at the very beginning of the night, but if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask someone. Everyone is there for fun, so enjoy yourself!
Monday Night Drop-in Rules and Code of Conduct (COC)
- Play at a level that includes everyone on the court.
- Return the ball to the Server by rolling it under the net at a reasonable speed.
- Don’t touch the net. Most accidents happen at the net, so be careful up there!
- Each player gets 5 serves in a row or until the serve is lost to the other team.
- When playing indoors, the blue lines are the court boundary.
- A team wins when they reach 25 points, or win by two points to a maximum of 27.
- A ball may be played off the net.
- Walls and ceilings are out of bounds.
- A maximum of three contacts is allowed per side not including the block. Thus, a block is not considered one of the three contacts.
- Outwit the other team, don’t just over-power them. A well-placed shot is better than a shot hit hard!
- Hard spiking is not allowed on either court.
- Serving is more about putting the ball in play than it is about serving so hard the other team can’t return it. Please temper your serve so that the other team can keep it in play as much as possible.
- Keeping Score is more about keeping track of time than it is about beating the other team – winning is just a bonus!
- We are there to have fun not hurt each other!!
- Be kind to less-skilled players and gentle when offering any corrections – some people may feel bullied when being told what to do.
Teams will be chosen randomly.
We play on every Monday night between September to mid-May, from 8 pm to 10 pm. Please note that due to maintenance issues at our usual location, recreational drop-in volleyball for April 2018 will be on Fridays at the Rideau Sports Centre, not Mondays!
Recreational drop-in volleyball for April 2018 – new location, date and times:
- Where: Volleyball Dome at the Rideau Sports Centre (1 Donald Street)
- When: April 6 (9 to 11pm), April 13 (8 to 10pm), April 20 (8 to 10pm)
The gym is closed on holidays, so we do not play those nights.
Monday Night recreational volleyball is held at the Horizon-Jeunesse elementary school (École élémentaire catholique Horizon-Jeunesse), located at the corner of McArthur and Olmstead, East of the Vanier Parkway. Players are now asked to enter by the front gymnasium door. If you arrive late and no one is present to let you in, knock on the side gym door and someone will come and get you by the front door.
The cost to play is $5 per night or $30 for each semester.
How to join
Just show up with your money and ask for the organizer! You will also need to fill out the registration and waiver form before playing.